Such an incredible experience hanging out with Has Bean’s founder Steve Leighton. We talk lots about Prufrock’s history, the role of the nano roaster and then move into the anathema that is solubility testing.
If you can’t handle the full 80 minutes, I’ve divided it up into chapters so you can scroll through. The Solubility Elephant in the room sparks up a great debate from minute 43.
Tamper Tantrum Podcast 36: In 22 Chapters.
- Prufrock history and the carts 00:00-15:00
- Workflow efficiency and the role of the barista-role of technology 15:00
- Nano roasters and customer demand for freshness and the supply chain.19:00
- Gwilym wins the 2009 WBC and Present and the growth of professionalism 21:00
- Leather lane-financial risk and dignified erotica 24:00
- Breaking even with multiple income streams 30:00
- Our relationship with Square Mile 37:00
- RO systems and prising extraction above 17% 40:00-43:00
- The elephant in the room-The Solubility debate begins– 43:00-78:00 End
- Index of roast: 50:00
- Pocket book scientist-‘some of my best friends are scientists’ 51:00
- Blame the roaster? Underextraction, who’s fault is it? 56:00
- Solubility of espresso vs filter roasts and acid up the chimney 59:00
- Espresso blends by varieties that are higher in sugar? 60:00
- ‘There’s the rub Steve!’-Who should make up the recipes, the roaster or the barista 62:00
- Prufrock pilots a new inter cafe shared espresso journal with the Barn, La Cabra and Steam 63:00
- Returning underdeveloped coffee, is it O.K? 65:00
- Scott Rao 66:00
- Big Data’s role in assessing the solubility of different varieties of coffee 69:00
- The cupping protocol, the importance of agitation 70:00
- ‘The barista as the scientist, the barista as the lab technician 72:00
- The role of governing bodies in research 73:00
This was a great debate where we agreed a little more than either of us expected. Furthermore and may the world take note, he promised to let me do a Tamper Tantrum to deliver the data from our shared journals. Stand by. Thank you and long live Tamper Tantrum!